Friday, August 10, 2012

Chicken, Mashed Potatoes and Spinach Salad

Typically, I enjoy my mashed potatoes completely covered with some type of gravy.  These potatoes are more in the bland side, but the extra creamy texture combined with the tart raspberry vinaigrette and the moist and crispy chicken create a happy marriage of flavors.

Currently I am taking a Nutrition class and decided to put into practice what I am learning in the classroom.  Good for you does not have to taste bad!  All those pre-packaged meals sold in the food markets DO NOT give healthy and tasty a good name.  I am a sucker for sweets, goey, messy food...my goal is to find healthier choices.  No I am not turning into a vegetarian.  I believe everything in moderation is the key to a healthier lifestyle.  I will be tweaking my favorite desserts for the health of my waistband and those I constantly feed....but that is another adventure in the kitchen....SOON!

For now let's go back to last night's dinner...  Low sodium...did you know dietary guidelines specify no more than 1 teaspoon of salt per adult in a day?!?

This is dinner for 2.  The ingredient list is simple, let's start with the chicken:

Crispy Baked Chicken

1 whole chicken breast (sliced thru the middle and cut in 4)
1 egg
breading (spices used:  1/2 c breadcrumbs; 1/2 t paprika, 1/8 t salt, 1/2 t garlic powder, 1/2 t adobo seasoning)
4-5 t canola oil

Procedure: 
1.  First mix the ingredients for your breading.  Then add the canola oil to the breading mix.  Drizzle the oil on top of the breading mix, and mashed it down with a fork to incorporate.  (Try to keep your fingers out of this, you have germs waiting to become part of your ingredients!)
2.  Dip your chicken in the egg, then in the breadcrumb mix - tapped down on both sides.  Refrigerate until ready to use.  Chicken breast cooks fast.  Go take care of your potatoes....
3.  When you are ready to cook the chicken, you can either bake it or use a stove-top grill.  I used the stove-top grill, sprayed with Pam.  Cooked in less than 30 minutes.



Mashed Creamy Potatoes


2 large potatoes
1 oz butter
1.5 oz cream cheese
1/4 c milk (I am using whole milk, when flavor is a factor I cannot substitute for reduced fat or skim.)

So this is why your potatoes are bland, no salt!!!!, no spices!!!!  I believe a nice roasted garlic will go well with these potatoes.

Procedure:
1.  Boil potatoes until you are able to put a knife thru the whole potato.  This is an indication the potato is cooked.  I like to cook my potatoes whole (when not in a rush).  It keeps the nutrients in and the potato does not get extra soggy.  Yes, I added a bit of Kosher salt to my boiling water.
2.  When cooked, mash potatoes.  I do not own a fancy masher gizmo, I use my trusted fork.  I like my mashed potatoes to still have bits of chunks.  Add the butter and cheese (and some yummy roasted garlic!).  Get it all incorporated before adding the milk.

Make sure to time yourself, potatoes take a good 30-45 minutes to cook.  Cook your chicken while you wait for the potatoes to cook and prepare your salad in between.


Spinach, Arugula Salad with Raspberry Vinaigrette















For my salad I just used up what was on my fridge and created my dressing.

Arugula and Spinach leaves (washed)
Mushrooms (cleaned and trimmed)
1 raspberry
olive oil
white vinegar
salt and pepper to taste.

I kinda rush thru this one.  Took my raspberry, smashed it added to the vinegar and oil, sprinkled salt and pepper, mixed and whala! my vinaigrette was alive.  I used 3 part oil to 1 part vinegar.  Remember do not saturate your salad with dressing.  It is only meant to enhance the flavor.  Drizzle over the salad.

Put all your components into a serving plate.  Grab your eating utensils (or hands) and dig in.

Simple homemade dishes are a money saving idea.  Remember to always add that extra caring touch when you serve your homemade meals (make it eye appealing, colorful and aromatic).

Now where's the bacon.....

Buen apetito!

2 comments:

  1. I was @ Food Basics this morning @ 7:30, buying some of the ingredients that I needed to start this recipe. I already have the chicken in the fridge ready to cook. I made a mistake and used seasoned crumbs instead, but I tried to fix the problem adding plain crumbs. I was wondering if I should saute the spinach, since I like it better cooked?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Using seasoned crumbs will not make a difference, it will actually give it more flavor. Cooked spinach will also be fine. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete