Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Arepas de Coco Rellenas de Guayaba y Queso Crema

Arepas or Corn Fritters
Filling:  Guava and Cream Cheese

For those of you who never had an "arepa", these delicious finger food are corn cakes made of pre-cooked corn flour, salt and water.  You can be adventerous and add flavors to the batter and fill the inside with whatever curves your appetite.  You can also make them plain and split open "sandwich style".

Honestly speaking, I have never made arepas in my life.  My mom was the one always cooking this heaven sent delicias.  We had all types of Puerto Rican fritters:  pastelillos, empanadas, papas rellenas, tortas fritas, bacalaitos, arepas....  Ha, another blog idea just popped in my head...Traditional Island Fritters.....

Arepas are simple, easy to make and a staple in the South American and Caribbean cuisine.  If you are only making the standard version, all you need is a bag of pre-cooked white corn meal, salt and water.  I am using Masarepa from Goya.  I decided to make coconut arepas.  I am craving the flavors of guava paste and cream cheese together.  Here are my ingredients:


As per package instructions:
2 c Masarepa
1 t salt
3 c warm water
butter for grilling

My additional ingredients:
1/4 c sweetened shredded coconut
1/2 T brown sugar
1/2 c half and half (by adding this I reduced the amount of water to 2.5 c)
6 thin slices o guava paste
6 thin slices of cream cheese
(Besides the guava/cream cheese filling, I also used shredded mozarella to fill the arepas.  I got 10 arepas total.)
Procedure:
1.  Combine all dry ingredients (corn meal, salt coconut, sugar).
2.  Add liquids and mix until well combined.  Let the dough rest for 5-15 minutes.
3.  Now you are ready to make the arepas.  Trying for 4" round and about 1/2" thick size (as per package instructions).  This is how it was done:


Create a golf size ball.  Hint:  use plastic wrap to avoid sticking.

Flatten with your palm until you get the size you want.


Place filling in the middle.

Then use another flatten ball to cover the top.  Hint:  I rolled the ball in my hands, then flattened it large enough to cover my filling.  Then using the plastic wrap I extended the corners to cover the bottom one.  Used the side of my hand (cupping) to round the corners.
4.  Spread some butter on the griddle and cook until browned.  About 5 minutes or so on each side.
5.  Then, you must sit down, relax and enjoy them...

If you want a stronger coconut flavor add more coconut or use coconut milk instead of water/milk.

These are yummy...my griddle is heating up as I am typing....

Buen apetito.  Que las disfruten.

MJ

No comments:

Post a Comment