Monday, January 30, 2012

Bistec Encebollado (Pepper/Onion Steak al Boricua)

I enjoy a good-hearty meal.  There are different ways to make "Bistec Encebollado" the Puerto Rican way.  Many people prefer a dry (no sauce) steak topped with the onions.  My personal preference is there must be some sauce to run over my rice, there must be green peppers to contrast the onion scent and I must taste the accidity of the vinegar.  Steak and vinegar, now that's amazing!

My trip to the supermarket was a bit disappointing.  Red meat seems to get expensive by the second.  Maybe it is a sign not to eat so much of it.  If you look closer, you get more of what you want at a cheaper price, if you are willing to do the extra work.  Depending on the meat cut you prefer, why not buy a big chunk of it instead of the pre-sliced cut. 

I was so into this dish. Friday morning my first instinct was "need to marinate my steaks". Usually I am heading to the coffee maker, half-asleep as soon as I get up. I was craving the smell of onions and peppers mixed with vinegar and garlic...yum to my recipe...

1 lb thin sliced steak
1 garlic minced
1 tbsp adobo
1 1/2 tsp white vinegar
1 tsp black pepper, ground (omit if adobo contains pepper)
1/2 onion, thinly sliced
1/2 small green pepper, sliced

Add all ingredients and rub all over steak, topped with onions and peppers, cover with plastic wap and marinate.  I did this in the morning and cooked it at night.  This was my reason to come home to Friday night.

1 cup chicken stock
1/2 can Goya tomato sauce
1 tsp cornstarch

I added more or less a cup of diluted chicken stock (you can add beef stock or just water) to cover above the meat.  Bring this to a boil, then reduce heat to just simmer.  This is when I added my tomato sauce and the cornstarch.  I am using cornstarch to thicken the sauce.

I made tostones and white rice to complete the meal.

Tostones:  1 green plantain (not a banana!) cut in slices, fry until golden brown both sides.  Then using the bottom of a cup or your palm (use a barrier, like a paper bag or plastic wrap, and make sure to let it cool down a bit) flatten the fried plantain.  Then you will fry again until crisp. Season to taste with salt & pepper, adobo, garlic....

Make sure you use the exhaust fan.  The smell of onion and peppers will overpower anything in your house.

Que rico!

No comments:

Post a Comment