Sunday, January 22, 2012

Cinnamon Raisin French Toast

When I got up this morning, I was craving something "fantastico".  Making sure to use ingredients I have at hand.  Sometimes I go to the supermarket and I get this "buy instincts".  I purchase groceries, and they just seat in my pantry or refrigerator for days with no future.  I mean stuff just goes to waste.  I am trying to become a savvy consumer.  It is so true about the commercial that tells us how much cash we throw in our trashcans on a daily basis.  Changing my ways.

Back to my breakfast...

I paid $4 for a loaf of Pepperidge Farm Swirl bread, NOT going to waste....I am already thinking of bread pudding with the rest of the bread....  I am only cooking breakfast for myself so feel free to double batter.

Ingredients:
3 slices cinnamon raisin bread
1 egg
1/3 c milk
1/4 c heavy cream
1/2 tsp sugar
pinch of cinnamon, nutmeg
salt to taste

Beat all ingredients in a small bowl.  Dip the bread in the batter.  The most common fault in making French toast is not soaking the bread long enough to allow the batter to penetrate.  Chock that bread in the batter.  Hold it down, don't be afraid!  Using a griddle, melt about 1 1/2 tsp butter and brown both sides of the bread.  Use less butter if you prefer, healthy choice.  You can continue to cook in the griddle or you can transfer to a 375 degree oven for about 10 minutes until cooked. 

Plating:  I cut bread slices in half, topped with a sweet and tart blueberry sauce, and dusted with confectioners sugar. 

Bacon slices and a cup of coffee made this a great breakfast to wake up to.  The bad part was getting up on a Sunday morning and cook. 

For my blueberries, I cooked a handful of frozen blueberries, simple syrup (which is equal parts of sugar and water) and some lemon juice.  Add a bit of cornstarch to thicken sauce.  Pour all over the french toast before you dust with the sugar.

Sweet and Tangy!

No comments:

Post a Comment